How to Make Really Good Sauces
We will explore all the different ways to create flavorful sauces for different types of food, from classic “mother” sauces and pan sauces to vegetable and herb purées.
- Sauces for Vegetables (butter sauces: beurre blanc)
- Sauces for Fish (lemon and herb sauces: lemon-caper pan sauce; fresh green herb sauce)
- Sauces for Steak (wine sauces: red wine-shallot pan sauce)
- Sauces for Chicken (tomato-based sauces: puttanesca, cacciatore)
The Baking Basics
The desserts featured in this class are both rich in flavor and culinary techniques. You'll learn how to make a foolproof flaky pie crust, beat and fold egg whites, choose the best baking chocolate, perfect whipped cream, and pipe perfect pate au choux pastry dough.
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Individual Fruit Pies (includes Perfect Pie Crust 101)
- Profiteroles with Crème Chantilly and Chocolate Ganache
Thai Food: Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet
Learn how to balance hot, sour, salty and sweet flavors in this vibrant cuisine. Note: the summer rolls are actually Vietnamese, but these neighboring Southeast Asian cuisine share so many similar flavors and ingredients that we threw them in too!
- Fragrant Lemongrass-Coconut Chicken Soup with Mushrooms and Shallots (Tom Kha Gai)
- Crispy Fish with Tamarind-Chile-Thai Basil Sauce
- Red Coconut Curry with Crispy Duck Breast, Pineapple, Snow Peas, and Cilantro
- Steamed Jasmine Rice
Six Basic Cooking Techniques
After you’ve tackled these fundamental cooking techniques, there is no limit to the variation of meals you can make.
- Knife Skills
- Browning Meats (Perfect Skillet Steak)
- Making Flavorful Pan Sauces (Classic Red Wine-Shallot Pan Sauce)
- Roasting Vegetables (Roasted Potatoes and Seasonal Vegetables)
- Blanching Green Vegetables (String Beans with Lemon Gremolata)
- Cooking Leafy Greens (Swiss Chard with Garlic and Lemon)